Re: URLs in CSS

From: Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 15:19:42 -0400
To: Hakon Lie <howcome@w3.org>, www-style@w3.org

I would advise a method that allows us a flexible way of introducing
new types, e.g.

        rgb(192,192,192)             for a color with decimal values
        url("http://www.w3.org/")    for a URL
        object(obj23)                for an object defined elsewhere

For CSS2 we should probably be considering a way of specifying
expressions involving literal strings, list counters and images etc.
It would make a lot of sense to keep quoted strings for literal values
with `+' as a concatenation operator when applied to strings, e.g.

        li.new {list-style: image(url(redball.gif)) + "New!" }

-- Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org> tel: +1 (617) 258 5741 fax: +1 (617) 258 5999
   World Wide Web Consortium, 545 Technology Square, Cambridge, MA 02139
   url = http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett