CSS Draft 8/95: prioritised fount lists

From: Hakon Lie <Hakon.Lie@sophia.inria.fr>
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 1995 14:16:51 +0200
To: Thore Husfeldt <thore@daimi.aau.dk>
Cc: www-style@www10.w3.org
Thore Husfeldt writes:

 > I propose to change the value of "font" to
 >
 > 	[ size [/leading] family [weight] [style] ]+
 >
 > very much like the value of "font-family." This would allow the following:
 >
 >     font =
 > 	12pt/14pt bembo demi-bold
 > 	12pt/12pt new-century-schoolbook
 > 	12pt/14pt times
 >
 > Note that this is a very slight change indeed.

It's a slight change in syntax, but a major change in functionality.
You propose to group a set of properties and only apply the values if
all of them can successfully be set. The basic problem is: how do you
define success? One example: the style sheet requests font-family
Univers, but the renderer only has Helvetica (which is almost
identical) and proposes to substitute. Is this a success, or should
the styler move on to the next group?

Regards,

-h&kon

http://www.w3.org/hypertext/WWW/People/howcome/