style sheets for Arena

Nesta Stubbs writes:

 > I am playing with HTML 3.0 style sheets and have had alot of problems
 > trying to figure out what exactly is going on.

Time for a little update. As of today, the situation is:

- Arena 0.98b has been released [1]. Currently only sun platforms are
supported, but this should change. This release attempts to support the
CSS draft specification of August 10, but some functionality is
missing. This is documented in [2].

- There has not been much public disussion on the latest CSS
draft. Bert and I have communicated privately with various people, and
we will have a new revision out not too far from now. Among the
proposed changes are:

  - remove the significance of newline characters

       H1: font-family helvetica, font-size = 18pt
       H2: font-family helvetica, font-size = 14pt

    could then be written as

       =>H1:
             font-family = helvetica,
             font-size = 18pt
       =>H2:
             font-family = helvetica,
             font-size = 14pt

    alternatively

       H1:
             font-family = helvetica,
             font-size = 18pt;
       H2:
             font-family = helvetica,
             font-size = 14pt;

  - add support for user-selectable multiple style sheets through the
    TITLE attribute of the LINK element. Turning on/off various style
    sheets should be under the interactive control of the user.

  - remove the support for addressing based on element attributes
    from level 1. Support for CLASS remains and one can address "new"
    and "old" anchors using pseudo-clases, e.g.:

       A.link:  text-color = red
       A.vlink: text-color = pink  -- visited link
       A.alink: text-color = blue  -- active link

    The pseudo-classes only applies to A with an HREF.

    Comments?

- The W3 Consortium is planning a workshop on style sheets. We vill
try to bring together web publishers, browser implementors and users
to ensure that style sheets address the needs of those involved. The
workshop will be open for consortium members, and others by
invitation. Not much more is decided yet, so let me know if you have
ideas for the workshop.

[1] http://www.w3.org/hypertext/WWW/Arena/0.98
[2] http://www.w3.org/hypertext/WWW/Arena/style98/implementation

Regards,