Property Names and Value Identifiers

From: Hakon Lie <Hakon.Lie@sophia.inria.fr>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 1995 08:40:28 +0100
To: Glenn Adams <glenn@stonehand.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
Glenn Adams writes:

 > I've notice a lot of inconsistency in the conventions used for property
 > and property value identifiers names in the CSS 4.0 draft.
 >
 > For example, we have the following conventions used for compound identifiers:
 >
 > 1. xy, e.g., linebefore
 > 2. x-y, e.g., font-family
 > 3. x.y, e.g., insert.before

2 is the convention and is used throughout the document. 3 is a
slip. 1 is value, not a property. Still, the same conventions should
probably apply. Would you also want these changes?:

a)  shadowbox     ->   shadow-box
b)  lowerroman    ->   lower-roman
c)  box3d         ->   box-3-d
d)  alt-firstline ->   alt-first-line
e)  inline        ->   in-line
f)  uppercase     ->   upper-case
g)  lowercase     ->   lower-case

I think a-b should change. c-e I'm more uncertain about. f-g should
remain unchanged as webster defines them as single words.

Guidance is appreciated,

-h&kon

http://www.w3.org/People/howcome  howcome@w3.org