Re: leading (source of information)

From: Benjamin C. W. Sittler <bsittler@prism.nmt.edu>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 1995 09:36:49 -0600
To: www-style@www10.w3.org
Sorry, forgot to mention the source for my information... I used Knuth's
TeXBook (which does not contain an explicit definition of leading) and
Robun Williams's The Mac is not a typewriter (1990, Peackpit Press,
Berkeley.) I feel I must recommend this to anyone doing stylesheet work...
it's actually a concise style manual for DTP on any platform.

One point I came across while reading it: if we are goiung to have
adjustable border styles (i.e. border.style,) we should consider the
following possibilities:

   ________________
   | ______________        Thin border inside thin border
   | |

   ________________

   |  #############        Thick border inside thin border
   |  #

   ################
   #
   #  #############        Thick border inside thick border
   #  #

   ################
   #
   #   ___________
   #   |

(Tin-0in-thick)

(eh, in.)

we should consider adjustable interborder spacing, and also spacing
between borders and the text blocks they affect... although the latter can
probably be set using the text container's margins.

(I know this is somewhat divergent from the topic at hand, but it deals
 with a related issue: where around an item is the border drawn, and how
are overlaps resolved.)

--
Benjamin C. W. Sittler
   "I have great confidence in fools -- self confidence my friends call it."