Re: Multiple Stylesheet Notations

From: Mike Batchelor <mikebat@clark.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 1995 13:43:59 -0400 (EDT)
To: www-style@www10.w3.org
Benjamin C. W. Sittler once wrote...

> How can a document author specify more than one format of stylesheet? For
> example, I have stylesheets for Arena, ViolaWWW and NaviPress that I would
> like applied to a given page, depending on which format the current
> browser uses. How can I do this? And what would I do if a browser was
> written which interpreted several *different* stylesheet formats?

One would hope that different browsers would look for different REL or
CLASS attributes on the <LINK> tag, in order to divine which linked style
sheet was theirs.  Maybe each browser developer could adopt a standard
"Content-Type:" extension by which an appropriate linked style sheet could
be recognized.

<link rel=style href="style.w3">
<link rel=style href="style.viola">

Then the server could be configured to send an HTTP header for each one
based on the extension, telling it what kind of style sheet it was on the

Otherwise, I can't imagine how to distinguish them.

--
   %%%%%% mikebat@clark.net %%%%%% http://www.clark.net/pub/mikebat/ %%%%%%