Re: Border Styles

From: Bert Bos <bert@let.rug.nl>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 1995 17:33:27 +0200 (METDST)
To: bsittler@prism.nmt.edu (Benjamin C. W. Sittler)
Cc: www-style@w3.org
Benjamin Sittler writes:
 |Hmmm... okay, you've convinced me that we probably need seperate control
 |for different sides of a border, so I propose the following:
 |
 |border.left.*
 |border.right.*
 |border.top.*
 |border.bottom.*
 |
 |Where the * corresponds to one of the sub-styles in my previous post.
 |The plain border.* stylesheet attributes would be a shorthand for
 |simultaneously setting all four edges, so that one could still get uniform
 |borders painlessly.

The best of both worlds! We already need a similar scheme for fonts,
where `font' can take the place of (and overrides?) the values of
`font.family', `font.size', `font.style', etc., so `border.*' would
not be anything new.

The interaction between `border' and elements that do not start and
end with a line break should be defined: what does `EM:border.style'
mean? I suggest that `border' only causes those sides to be drawn that
are well-defined. In detail:

1. an element with both a break before and a break after it
   -> all four sides apply.

2. an element with a break before but not after it
   -> only the top side of the border is drawn.

3. an element with a break after but not before it
   -> only the bottom side is drawn.

4. an element with neither a break before nor after it
   -> all border properties are ignored.

Bert

--
                          Bert Bos                      Alfa-informatica
                 <bert@let.rug.nl>           Rijksuniversiteit Groningen