Re: Direct formatting STYLE attribute

From: Scott E. Preece <preece@predator.urbana.mcd.mot.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 1995 14:52:48 -0600
To: seibert@hep.physics.mcgill.ca
Cc: papresco@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca, www-style@w3.org, html-wg@oclc.org
   From: David Seibert <seibert@hep.physics.mcgill.ca>

|   ...  However, even if you use a style
|   only once, is it really much harder to give it a short descriptive name
|   that is defined in the header than it is to define it where it is used?
|   Many authors may find that they are more productive, or that the quality
|   of their work improves, if they first organize the text conceptually and
|   then define the necessary styles in the header, instead of trying to
|   organize text and define styles at the same time.
---

As I say, it's not *a lot* harder, it's just an irritant.  Great
products have irritants designed out.

Your last point, however, goes direcctly to my point.  Yes, it makes a
lot of sense to organize the generic, class-like styles in advance,
because they have document-wide significance and are reusable.  The
places where anonymous styling makes sense are specifically where the
intent of the styling is wholly local; I think the author's mental model
is likely to NOT predict such uses until the text is actually being
written; in fact, that might almost be a defining characteristic of
appropriate uses...

scott

--
scott preece
phone:	217-384-8589			  fax:	217-384-8550