Re: Comments on CSS, Level 1, 23-Nov-95

From: Walter Ian Kaye <boo@best.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 1995 09:16:13 -0800
To: www-style@w3.org
Cc: glenn@stonehand.com (Glenn Adams), Hakon Lie <Hakon.Lie@sophia.inria.fr>, lilley <lilley@afs.mcc.ac.uk>
At 4:16p 12/04/95, Hakon Lie wrote:
>lilley@afs.mcc.ac.uk writes:
>
> > > (12) bg-light-source - move to level 2 (please don't propose new and
> > > exciting but unimplemented properties for level 1!)
> >
> > I agree that the name is misleading; it does not specify a light source.
> > It specifies a way of interpolating between two colours. Unlike Glenn I
> > think this should (suitably renamed) be in CSS level 1, precisely because
> > it allows those mid blue to dark blue transitions (for example) that are so
> > popular for presentations and which canniot be done in a window-size
> > independent manner in current UAs.
>
>Yup. Do you have a better name/metaphor? Also, the use of N(orth)
>S(outh) etc to specify a "light-source" (ooops, there is is again) was
>a first attempt. Suggestions welcome, even if is seems like it will
>end up in CSS2.

Hmm...

  "gradient", "gradient-angle"

   Other forms: gradation, gradate (verb)

to use terms found in my paint program's manual...

(Not to be confused with graduate/graduation which is something different.)

-Walter

    Walter Ian Kaye <boo@best.com>       | Excel | FoxPro | AppleScript |
          Mountain View, CA              |--------- programmer ---------|
 http://www.natural-innovations.com/     |   Macintosh    |   Windows   |