Re: Proposal: Fix discrete to animation in SVG 1.1 Second Edition

From: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 05:00:07 +1200
To: Brian Birtles <birtles@gmail.com>
Cc: www-svg <www-svg@w3.org>, www-smil@w3.org
Hi Brian.

Cameron McCormack:
> > I would prefer to make this change only if we test it (by approving the
> > above test) and if we have at least two passing implementations of it.
> > As you mention, Opera and WebKit ignore keyTimes on discrete to-
> > animations, so of the above implementations (which are the only ones I
> > currently have access to that implement animation) only Batik passes the
> > test.

Brian Birtles:
> Oh, that's a shame. Fixing Gecko should hopefully be as simple as
> backing out the patch where we "fixed" this (bug 544855). I'm happy to
> do that if you're confident we can get this changed in the spec.
> Otherwise, I wonder what Abbra does?

Yes, barring any pushback in the WG (which hasn’t been seen so far –
it’d be good to see what Alex’s opinion is), if this goes out in a
nightly Firefox build then that will be sufficient for the
implementation report, and we can make this change for Second Edition.

> Of course, that depends on resolving the issue about whether keyTimes
> should affect to animations that Erik raised. I believe SMIL
> explicitly says that it does:
>
>   The keyTimes and keySplines attributes may also be used with the
> from/to/by shorthand forms for specifying values[1]

I agree, but we will discuss this in the WG.

--
Cameron McCormack ≝ http://mcc.id.au/