Re: smil in a html page

Steve,

I have a smil + time project that you might be interested in seeing.  This
was produced primarily to demonstrate smil+html but was also used for
patient education.  www.gleich.com/smil/index.htm

When I took it down to change my web host I actually received inquiries from
one of the hospital emergency departments that had been showing  it to
patients with urinary tract stones.  They wanted it back!

Now that I have joined the University of Minnesota Medical School faculty I
am thinking about setting my smil + time project back up on our umn.edu
urologic surgery site.  I'll admit that it in the process of making it
consistent with the style standards of the U of M I'll probably make it over
again completely using (sigh) Flash.  I had great fondness for the smil +
time implementation of the smil language and marveled at how Microsoft was
so far ahead of everyone in supporting such a good idea.  I could write
everything in HTML and use CSS for layout control but the lack of any IDE
(other than the late lamented Sausage Software) and elegant but
intellectually demanding documentation from w3c ultimately made smil
impractical.  Flash has the industry support I need.  There are lots of
books (smil had a couple that I bought) and forums and lynda.com courses.  I
have managed, as usual, to get interested in Flash right as the fight breaks
out about HTML5 vs Flash but as I move images into Flash directly from
Photoshop, develop object oriented Action Script code in the Flash IDE and
process Flash video with the Adobe Media Encoder I think "if only smil+html
had anything close to this it would have been great fun..."

Paul Gleich