Re: Require syntax for Media marker "Clip-Begin" for SMIL 2.0/3.0

Your problem is implementation, not standardisation.

The construct you use is correct according to the SMIL 3.0 spec. But: I know of no SMIL players that actually implement the
clipBegin="marker=#foo" functionality. In addition, the SMIL spec is vague (and intentionally so) as to what the external
representation of markers is.

Ambulant has some minimal support for markers, but (a) only for markers defined in SmilText files, and (b) only for used
in event-based timing.

Adding support to Ambulant for markers in the way you sketch shouldn't be too hard: the infrastructure is all in place.
But: we (the CWI ambulant team) don't have the time for this, and no compelling use case right now that will let us
make time. But if you have the developer capabilities yourself we are (as always) more than willing to help.