Re: Compare SMIL 1.0,2.0 and 3.0

From: Jack Jansen <Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 23:26:51 +0200
Cc: www-smil@w3.org
To: Datta321 <DS0036943@techmahindra.com>

On 31 mei 2010, at 15:59, Datta321 wrote:

> Can anyone provide me a link to the comparsion of these 3 versions of SMIL ?
> Basically, I would want to know additional or obsolate features of each
> version on a comparative basis along with support from different media
> players and browsers. A matrix is what I seek.

I'm not aware of such a table. But the various specs each have a list of differences to the previous spec:
SMIL 2.1 to 3.0: <http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/REC-SMIL3-20081201/smil-introduction.html#introNS-Changes21>
SMIL 2.0 to 2.1: <http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/REC-SMIL2-20051213/introduction.html#introNS-Changes21>

There is no list of differences between 1.0 and 2.0, because 2.0 should be considered a new language with some features to enable backward compatibility. There is a reasonable (but not complete) match between the SMIL 2.0 basic profile and SMIL 1.0.