Re: Does a SMIL with mul mpegs result into 1 mp4 file eventually ?

From: Jack Jansen <Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 22:16:52 +0200
Cc: www-smil@w3.org
To: Datta321 <DS0036943@techmahindra.com>

On 28 mei 2010, at 15:48, Datta321 wrote:

> Does a SMIL file having multiple mpeg-4 files being played sequentially or in parallel, eventually get converted into 1 mp4 file during playback ? Given below is one such SMIL file, which plays 2 video clips in parallel, when played in a media player. It has been observed that while using IBMToolkitForMpeg420061204 tool the following conversions resulted SMIL -> XMT-0 ->(using XMTBatch.exe) .mp4 -> (using MP4BOX tool) BIFS (Had 2 streams for audio and video, 1 for each clip.) It this always true and takes place internally, when a SMIL file is being played by media players ?
> Regards, (Dattaprassanna M. Singbal)
> Sent from the w3.org - www-smil mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

If you include XMT-O in MP4 you can convert quite a few SMIL presentations into MP4. I don't think the two functionalities match 100%, but there's quite a bit of overlap.
But note that XMT-O/BIFS support in mp4 players is something you hardly ever see: it may be that the format is has even fewer implementations than SMIL.

The SMIL players that I'm familiar with all turn the SMIL document into some sort of a graph and then execute that graph. This is definitely true for Ambulant and GRiNS (that I've helped develop) but also for the other players for which I've seen the code.