Re: SMIL for Digital Signage

On  30-Apr-2009, at 18:25 , Takahiro Fujiwara wrote:

> Hello all,
> I am new to this Mailing list and new to SMIL.
>
> An organization which I joined recently has been considering to
> implement a playlist for Digital Signage system (e.g. Mobile Signage).
> I checked out that there are some playlist formats on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playlist
> I think SMIL is one of big candidate for our use.
>
> However I could not find our requirements as follows.
> 1.      Need a non time events.  Such as "when Bus stop arrived to
> 'B'.", "when GPS points to outside of Tokyo.", "beginning of the
> rain" – these events will be converted to signals.

There are multiple possibilities. But I think the best candidate is
SMIL State events (which are new since SMIL 3.0). SMIL State is a way
to use variables in SMIL, and you could set up your application so
that there is an external agent that modifies state variables based on
things like GPS location, or which stop the bus is at. You can then
trigger to these to have the SMIL presentation react.

> 2.      Priority e.g.
> lowest priority = sequence of "video-a", "video-b", "video-c"
> low priority:  City changed "video-city", Rain status "video-rain"
> middle priority:  When time comes every o’clock, show "video-clock-
> commercial"
> top priority:  Bus stop changed "video-arrive to the bus stop 'B'.

SMIL has the <PriorityClass> element specifically for this use case.
It can be used within an <excl> element to group the alternatives
according to priority. Moreover, you can specify whether high-priority
events pause the lower priority events they interrupt (allowing them
to continue when the high-priority event has completed) or completely
replace them.

> Please tell me how to do that.
> Or tell me whether SMIL is suite for this purpose or not.
> Your advice is highly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Takahiro Fujiwara
> =
> =
>  Takahiro Fujiwara, EAST Co., Ltd. Japan
>  Tel: +81 90 7262 9883  Fax: +81 48 298 1723
>  [RENEWAL!Schedule] http://tinyurl.com/fujiwat-calendar
>  ViceChair of NewsML1-WorkingParty
>     IPTC (International Press Telecommunication Council)
>  LiaisonOfficer of SteeringCommittee & XML Evangelist
>     XML Consortium Japan
>  Certification Creators of Crossmedia-Expert
>     JAGAT (Japan Association of Graphic Arts Technology)
> =
> =

Goldman