Re: Visual objects over video in SMIL 3.0?

From: Jack Jansen <Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl>
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2008 00:32:19 +0200
Cc: www-smil@w3.org
To: jose@multimedia4everyone.com

On  4-Oct-2008, at 18:44 , jose@multimedia4everyone.com wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I notice that in Opera's SVG implementation, images and svg graphics
> can
> lay over a video element, as in this test:
>
> http://multimedia4everyone.com/xiph_it/svg_video_test_2.zip
>
> I imagine that if a SMIL 3.0 player supported SVG it would be able
> to do
> the same.
>
> The question I have is, can SMIL 3.0's visual elements lay over a SMIL
> video element?
>
> Is this up to the implementers discretion or does this feature need to
> be specified in a Recommendation?

This has been in the SMIL spec since SMIL 1.0, and as far as I know
every player also supports it, to some extent.

To qualify the "to some extent" (as far s I know the details, and as
far as my memory is correct):

Ambulant 1.8 doesn't support it on Windows, but the next release will.
But: it does not support 4-channel TIFF/PNG images, so only for text,
smilText, gif and through mediaBackgroundOpacity and friends. On Mac/
Linux support should be pretty good in 1.8 already.

RealPlayer supports it for text/realtext/gif, I'm not sure about 4-
channel images.

GRiNS supports it on Linux and Mac, but again doesn't support 4-
channel images.

Goldman