Re: help getting started

On  11-Sep-2008, at 15:20 , Patrick wrote:

> This is my first post
>
> SMIL looks like a great idea but unfortunately like most great ideas
> it
> does not seem to have been rapid,ly adopted.
>
> The website has lots of links but if someone could guide me, it could
> really cut down on th time needed to get setup.
>
> Please tell me the best player for Linux?

Sorry, I missed this message, until Jose posted a reply on RealPlayer.

If you're not scared of building from source you can get the Ambulant
Player from www.ambulantplayer.org. The 1.8 player is pretty old, but
if you go to the sourceforge  pages you can get the current sources
from CVS. They should build relatively easily, and give you all the
goodies from SMIL 3 (including SMIL Text and SMIL State). Only
potential problem is that Ambulant requires a number of third-party
packages (ffmpeg, sdl and expat are pretty much required, and xerces,
Python, live555 and libxml2 are optional but good to have).

At the moment the only caveat on building Ambulant from CVS is that
you must not use the most recent ffmpeg (as the ffmpeg developers have
changed their API in an incompatible way, again). You want to checkout
an ffmpeg version of around last june.

Goldman