Re: Response to [SMIL30 CR comment] to-animation (12.6.4)

On 2008-08-26 18:15, Dr. Olaf Hoffmann wrote:
> Thierry Michel:
>> Dr. Olaf Hoffmann,
>>

>> Thank you for your [SMIL30 CR comment] to-animation (12.6.4) [1] sent to
>> the smil mailing list on Mon, 3 Mar 2008.
>>
>> SYMM WG Resolution:
>> Yes your interpretation is correct about:
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/SMIL3/smil-animation.html#animationNS-ToAnimation
>>
>> The SYMM WG records that you are satisfied with the SMIL 3.0 coverage of
>>   to-animations.
>>

> Sure, this is ok and consistent for SMIL3.0.
>
> Meanwhile it turned out, that for example SVG 1.1 viewers have another
> interpretation of discrete to-animation, as one or even more SVG testsuite
> samples of the SVG WG assume too, because there is no specific rule in
> the old SMIL animation recommendation, SVG 1.1 refers to.
>
> Typically or at least some viewers divide the simple duration by two to
> have the first half the underlying value and the second half the to-value
> as usual for discrete animation.
> Well, because it is not explicitely mentioned in the old SMIL animation to do
> is this or the other way, this is not directly a problem of the SYMM WG,
> however it is a minor backwards incompatibility problem for
> authors/implementors. In the SVG testsuite sample meanwhile transferred
> from SVG1.1 to SVGT1.2 this was discovered and this test was surely not
> intended to test this specific behaviour. This might indicate, that the other
> interpretation is quite common, but I have no statistics about this, for
> example my current SVG1.1 animation tests assume the same behaviour,
> but I was a long time looking around to get something more substantial
> as available now in SMIL3.0, unfortunately with another rule as assumed
> and implemented ;o)
>
> Is the current SMIL3.0 behaviour for discrere to-animation derived from
> (other) current implementations or how has this rule been derived and
> not the other?

This was already in SMIL 2.0.  In the section that defines the To
animation [1] it says: "a discrete to animation will simply set the to
value for the simple duration".  This has been made more prominent in
SMIL 3.0.  So this is not something new.

I hope this answers your question.

[1]
http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-smil20-20010807/animation.html#animationNS-ToAnimation

--