Re: Please acknowledge your comment LC-1814

On Wednesday, November 14, 2007, 4:23:18 PM, Thierry wrote:

TM> Chris,

TM> Could you please acknowledge our response to your comment LC-1814 [Use
TM> of 'must' in informative sections],
TM> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-smil/2007OctDec/0071.html

TM> and say that you are satisfied with the SYMM WG resolution

I'm afraid that I am neither satisfied nor dissatisfied. Instead I find myself, like Schrödinger's cat[1], unable to tell without looking.

The SYMM WG resolution is that some changes will be made as resources permit, between now and exiting CR. Thus, there is no commitment to make all  the changes before the CR is published. Accordingly, even if I make a careful review of the CR text (which I am willing to do) there are three possible outcomes

1) the changes made by entry to CR completely satisfy me, and I say so
2) more changes are needed, SYMM agrees, and they all get made before exiting CR at which point I am satisfied
3) more changes are needed, SYMM either does not agree or does not get the time to change them, and I am unsatisfied.

I can't distinguish between 2) and 3) by reviewing the proposed CR text.

I must, therefore, wait until there is text for me to review; and at that point, I will either say I am satisfied (1) or that I can't tell yet whether I will be satisfied (2,3).

Please note also that option c) from my original comment:

> c) consider making some of the informative sections normative, if
> 'must' is indeed used as a conformance requirement in some cases

if carried out during the CR phase, would be problematic as conformance would be altered.

[1]
  IRI http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schrödinger's_cat
  URI http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schr%C3%B6dinger's_cat

 Interaction Domain Leader