Re: SMIL 3.0 comment: Normative reference to W3C namespace policy

Philippe Le Hegaret wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-10-23 at 09:08 +0000, tmichel@w3.org wrote:
>> Your comment on 10.3.1 Elements and attributes:
>>> [[
>>> This section is normative.
>>>
>>> For the purpose of identifying the version and the language profile
>>> used, SMIL host language conformant documents must satisfy the
>>> following
>>> requirements:
>>> [...]
>>> In case the SMIL host language conformant language profile has been
>>> issued as a W3C Recommendation, the default namespace identifier must
>>> satisfy the following requirements:
>>>      1. The URI is constructed conformant to the requirements set
>>> forth
>>>         by the W3C [W3C-NSURI].
>>> ]]
>>>
>>> It seems awkward for a W3C Recommendation to normatively enforce and
>>> reference the namespaces policy of W3C:
>>>
>>> 1. the namespace policy is a moving target. Are you expected
>>> implementations to test the identifiers with regards to that policy?
>>>
>>> 2. the namespace policy is already enforced any way for W3C
>>> Recommendation, so I'm not sure what it brings here except unnecessary
>>> text in the document.
>>>
>>> I'd rather leave it to W3C to manage their web space as they want.
>>>
>>> Proposal: I would remove "The URI is constructed conformant to the
>>> requirements set forth by the W3C [W3C-NSURI]."
>>>

>>> [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/WD-SMIL3-20070713/
>>
>> Working Group Resolution:
>> We have modified definition of xmlns in section "10.3.1 Elements and
>> attributes" as follows:
>>
>> xmlns
>>     The xmlns attribute declares an XML namespace, and is defined in
>> "Namespaces in XML" [XML-NS].
>>

>> We have removed "and is defined in "Namespaces in XML" [XML-NS]" in the
>> above statement.
>
> But my comment has nothing to do with section 10.3.1... The text I
> quoted actually appears in section 2.5.3 [1]. Why should the namespace
> policy of W3C be a normative reference in a W3C Recommendation? I'm not
> talking about the W3C Recommendation "Namespaces in XML". It's a moving
> target and can be updated at any time. If the profile has been issued as
> a W3C Recommendation, it has to follow the publication requirements set
> forth by W3C in any case, but this should have nothing to do with SMIL
> 3.0. Again, I suggest the text:
> [[
> The URI is constructed conformant to the requirements set forth by the
> W3C [W3C-NSURI].
> ]]
> in section 2.5.3, as well as removing the normative reference in the
> reference section.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Philippe
>
> [1]
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/WD-SMIL3-20070713/smil-modules.html#smilModulesNSSMILHostIdentifierReqs

Sorry for the section misunderstanding.

The following statement in former section 2.5.3 is removing as well as
the normative reference in the reference section.

[[
  The URI is constructed conformant to the requirements set forth by the
  W3C [W3C-NSURI].
  ]]

see updated version
http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/Group/2007/SMIL30/SMIL-spec/smil-modules.html#smilModulesNSSMILHostIdentifierReqs

Please respond to say that you agree to this SYMM Response.

Thierry