Re: [SMIL30 LC comment] 8. SMIL 3.0 smilText

From: Dr. Olaf Hoffmann <Dr.O.Hoffmann@gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 13:30:35 +0200
To: www-smil@w3.org

> Issue:	Using some higher-level values for textRate than simply pixels.
>
> Proposed resolution: The definition of textRate and been refined to
> include the value of 'auto' (for the typical case). In addition, leading
> and trailing behavior is now supported via the textLT attribute.
>
> ----

This moves the problem only to the programmer/implementor.
How much is 'auto' and is this a textRate useful for the user?
I think, poor implementors are left alone with the problem, how
to determine a sufficient textRate if only 'auto' is possible and
values in px are not useful for authors/users as already explained.

A better approach was already provided in the original comment.
A better solution for authors with this problem might be to use
SVG (animation and defining font-size; zooming for users)
instead of SMIL to avoid the problem (not perfect, but maybe
a more advanced and flexible approach).