Re: [SMIL30 LC comment] 3.9 SplineAnimation Module

 Dear Dr. Olaf Hoffmann ,

The SYMM Working Group has reviewed the comments you sent [1] on the Last
Call Working Draft [2] of the Synchronized Multimedia Integration Language
(SMIL 3.0) published on 13 Jul 2007. Thank you for having taken the time to
review the document and to send us comments!

The Working Group's response to your comment is included below.

Please review it carefully and let us know by email at www-smil@w3.org if
you agree with it or not before 02 nov 2007. In case of disagreement, you
are requested to provide a specific solution for or a path to a consensus
with the Working Group. If such a consensus cannot be achieved, you will
be given the opportunity to raise a formal objection which will then be
reviewed by the Director during the transition of this document to the
next stage in the W3C Recommendation Track.

Thanks,

For the SYMM Working Group,
Thierry Michel
W3C Staff Contact

 1. http://www.w3.org/mid/200708141605.05886.Dr.O.Hoffmann@gmx.de
 2. http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/WD-SMIL3-20070713/

=====

Your comment on 3.9 Overview of the SMIL 3.0 SplineAnimation Module:
> Hello SMIL working group,
>

> some comments on the SplineAnimation Module:
>

> 3.9.1 SMIL 3.0 SplineAnimation Module Attributes
>
> 'Discrete animation can be used with keyTimes, as in the following
> example:
> <animateColor attributeName="color" dur="10s" calcMode="discrete"
>      values="green; yellow; red" keyTimes="0.0; 0.5; 0.8" />
>
> The value of the "color" attribute will be set to green for 5 seconds,
> and
> then to yellow for 3 seconds, and then will remain red for the
> remainder
> of the element.'
>
> --> 'the remainder of the animation'?
> or 'for the last 2 seconds of the animation'? because there is no
> fill="freeze" ...?
>
> --------------------
>
> '<par dur="30">
>   <animate calcMode="discrete" repeatCount="2" dur="10" fill="freeze"
>     accumulate="[as specified]" keyTimes="0.0; 0.5; 1.0" values="0; 1;
> 2"/>
> </par>'
>
> required attributeName is missing...
> reference definition of par...
>
> -------------------------
>
> 3.9.4 The spline animateMotion element
>
> typo?
>
> 'path
> Support includes commands to describes lines ...'
>
> -> '... to describe lines ...'?
>

> 'When a path attribute is used, the number of values is defined to be
> the number of points defined by the path, unless there are "move to"
> commands within the path. A "move to" command does not define an
> additional "segment" for the purposes of timing or interpolation.
> A "move to" command does not count as an additional point when
> dividing up the duration.'
>
> -> Except the first M/m command, else even with the simplest
> paths there are problems:
> path="M 0 0L1 1"
> This is the same as values="0 0;1 1",
> therefore 2 values, one segment.
> Formally the first M/m command is both - at the beginning and
> within too, because it is not outside of the path.
>
> -> maybe useful to mention, that control points of cubic Bezier
> curves are not counted as points ...
>
> -> maybe useful to mention, that the default calcMode paced
> requires a (numeric) calculation of the distance along a path for
> cubic bezier segments. (Even if the calcMode is linear, the
> motion along a cubic Bezier curve segment is paced and
> requires therefore the distance along the path fragment or a
> related method, because the usual parametrisations of
> cubic Bezier curves are not related to a paced or linear motion).

Working Group Resolution:

=
and
> then to yellow for 3 seconds, and then will remain red for the
remainde=
> of the element.'
>
> --> 'the remainder of the animation'?
> or 'for the last 2 seconds of the animation'? because there is no
> fill="freeze" ...?

Changed to ...for the last 2 seconds.

> --------------------
>
> '<par dur="30">
>   <animate calcMode="discrete" repeatCount="2" dur="10" fill="f=
reeze"
>     accumulate="[as specified]" keyTimes="0.0; 0.5; 1.0" values="=
0; 1; 2"/>
> </par>'
>
> required attributeName is missing...
> reference definition of par...

Added an ellipsis (...) to indicate missing attributes which for the
discussion are not essential.
We hope that by reordering the chapters in the specification, the
reference to par is not necessary.  Otherwise we would have to change
every example in the specification.

> -------------------------
>
> 3.9.4 The spline animateMotion element
>
> typo?
>
> 'path
> Support includes commands to describes lines ...'
>
> -> '... to describe lines ...'?

Fixed.

> 'When a path attribute is used, the number of values is defined to be
> the number of points defined by the path, unless there are "move to"
> commands within the path. A "move to" command does not define an
> additional "segment" for the purposes of timing or interpolation.
> A "move to" command does not count as an additional point when
> dividing up the duration.'
>
> -> Except the first M/m command, else even with the simplest
> paths there are problems:
> path="M 0 0L1 1"
> This is the same as values="0 0;1 1",
> therefore 2 values, one segment.
> Formally the first M/m command is both - at the beginning and
> within too, because it is not outside of the path.

What is meant is "properly" within, i.e. not at the edges.  But your
point is understood, so we changed the wording.

> -> maybe useful to mention, that control points of cubic Bezier
> curves are not counted as points ...

Done.

> -> maybe useful to mention, that the default calcMode paced
> requires a (numeric) calculation of the distance along a path for
> cubic bezier segments. (Even if the calcMode is linear, the
> motion along a cubic Bezier curve segment is paced and
> requires therefore the distance along the path fragment or a
> related method, because the usual parametrisations of
> cubic Bezier curves are not related to a paced or linear motion).

Added a note.

----