Re: Regarding section 17.4.8 Media Object Modules of the SMIL 3.0 Language Profile

On 07/30/2007 03:09 PM, Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves wrote:
--
Sjoerd Mullender
> Greetings,
>
> Section 17.4.8 Media Object Modules of the SMIL 3.0 specification
> states that Vorbis and Theora MIME types are application/ogg.  This is
> no longer the case, as the Xiph.Org Foundation has deemed necessary to
> change this to increase interoperability between the many hardware and
> software implementations that deal with its different formats.
>
> Per the MIME Types and File Extensions Recommendation[1], which is in
> the process of becoming a RFC, Theora MIME type is video/ogg and
> Vorbis MIME type is audio/ogg.
>
> Is it possible to rectify the SMIL 3.0 specification while it's still
> on the Last Call stage?

Yes.  See below.

> Is it also possible to modify this section as to add another
> royalty-free format as either optional or required for user-agents to
> implement?  We would like to suggest support for the Speex[2][3] media
> format, as its speech-optimized qualities allow for many uses over the
> Web where human voice is required.
>
> Possibly, an entry like
> "the following royalty-free media formats are suggested to be supported:
> * Ogg Speex audio (audio/ogg)"
> may be included.

Again: yes.

To get this further, please submit this as an official Last Call Comment
(basically, add [SMIL30 LC comment] to your subject) and the working
group will have to consider your comments.

This is what the Last Call stage is for: people commenting on the draft.

Of course, I didn't say here that the WG *will* make any changes (nor
that they won't), but the WG will consider them when you make an
official comment.

--
Sjoerd Mullender