Re: Generalities and the SYMM Charter

Hello,

The current SYMM WG Charter was created in September 2004 [1]. It was
extended in June 2006 with the same goals and deliverables (but with a
new duration and new milestones [2].

W3C Working Groups Charter are elaborated at time of *creation* of the
charter, adopted by W3C members and then the document is frozen (unless
there is an extension allowing to modify its duration and milestones only).
This explains why this document reflects information and references at
time of September 2004 like:

- SMIL 2.0 ; Back in September 2004 the latest SMIL version was indeed
SMIL 2.0.

Since that date, the SYMM WG has released two SMIL versions:

- SMIL 2.0 - Second Edition [3]
- SMIL 2.1 Recommendation on 13 12 2005.[4]

- SMIL "Next Generation" (NG); back in September 2004, the SYMM WG was
not fully determined to the proper naming of this version (SMIL 2.5 or
3.0) depending on the importance of the updates. It was name coded "SMIL
NG". Last year the Group has resolved to name it SMIL 3.0 as there are a
good amount of new features in this version.

In December 2006, the SYMM WG has released SMIL 3.0 as a First Public
Working Draft of the W3C [5].

If you would like to be aware of the SYMM WG releases (Specifiactions,
Notes) and news (implementations, testsuites, etc.), please do not
consult the WG charter page but please have a look at the Public
Synchronized Multimedia page [6] which does give you all these info and
is updated when needed.

Best Regards,

Thierry Michel
W3C SYMM WG staff contact.

[1] http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/2004/symm-wg-charter20040903.html
[2] http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/2004/symm-wg-charter20060601.html
[3] http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/REC-SMIL2-20050107/
[4] http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/REC-SMIL2-20051213/
[5] http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-SMIL3-20061220/
[6] http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/

Destry Wion wrote:

> Also, I notice it's been a year to this month that the SYMM Charter
> hasn't been updated
> (http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/2004/symm-wg-charter20060601.html), which
> is also evident in section 12, where it says SMIL 2.0 is the latest
> recommendation. Since the document is clearly dated, maybe someone can
> clarify a couple of things.

First, I find the reference "Next