Re: Sun-Java and SMIL Animation

Hi Daniel (and the SMIL group),

I'm glad you like the new stuff; I'm hoping the article and the
new features in the framework make it even more useful to
Java programmers.

I'll stick to my original assertion about the SMIL spec's vagueness
over the keySplines assumptions.  It makes sense to me now that I've
worked through it, but I didn't find the language here:

> QUOTE: "The keyTimes values that define the associated segment are
> the
> Bezier "anchor points", and the keySplines values are the control
> points."

very obvious in determining that the anchor points are
(0,0) and (1,1).  Nor did the short dereference to Foley, vanDam
help in figuring how to determine what we're actually trying
to calculate with keySplines.

I get it now.  But the point of the article is to help
educate people in how this stuff works, so I thought I'd help
them along in assumptions that I found unobvious when I
was doing this....

There's no inherent connection between my timingframework project
and Batik; someone could certainly do the work if it's helpful
or merited.  My goal is more to provide timing/animation capabilities
for Java graphics/GUI developers, whereas Batik is focused
around SVG in particular.  I'll probably continue developing more
of the plumbing for this kind of stuff for Java, and hopefully people
can reuse the work as they see fit (for Batik or whatever).

One of the things I would like to see happen is for some of this
work to be folded into the Java core platform; one of my goals in
putting the code out there in the timingframework project is to let
it loose in the wild and to get usage and feedback to hone the
API and capabilities before deciding which parts to pull into core.
So I would encourage everyone to use the framework as you see
fit and let me know about suggestions you have for modifications
or future features.

Thanks for your interest!

Chet.