Re: Streaming with SMIL?

Hi Laure !

The answer is very much player-dependent and codec-dependent, but yes:
it is possible to stream SMIL media content.

A safe bet for streaming is:

- Ask your end-users to use the RealOne player (there is a free
version).
<http://www.real.com>

- Distribute your media content using proprietary [.rm] codecs
("real-video and real-audio"), and [.rt] format (real-text).
=> You will need converters to generate this format (usually not free).

- Deploy this content using a dedicated RTSP streaming server (rtsp://
is the protocol that supports real streaming capabilities).
=> Usually not free either.

I am not really aware of another reliable method for implementing SMIL
multimedia streaming.

Note 1: Given you are interested in media content delivery, you might
want to check some specificities of the SMIL language
(PrefetchControl):
<http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/REC-SMIL2-20051213/smil-
content.html#ContentControlNS-PrefetchControl>

Note 2: You might want to check the Ambulant player to see if it
supports streaming:
<http://www.cwi.nl/projects/Ambulant/distPlayer.html>

Note 3: some video/audio players are able to play some particular
codecs "as it is downloaded" (.mov, .wmv), over the HTTP protocol.
Although this works nicely in video/audio-only mode, my experience is
that it doesn't work once the content is encapsulated in a SMIL
presentation (e.g.: although RealOne is both a video/audio player and a
SMIL player, it tends to behave totally differently in SMIL mode when
playing video/audio content).

Hope that helps.
Kind regards, Daniel WECK.