Re: Proposal on SMIL 2.0 Extension

Yoshihisa Gonno wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I'm pleased to inform you that our Submission request on SMIL 2.0
> Extension[1] has been acknowledged and published by W3C[2].
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/Submission/2003/04/
> [2] http://www.w3.org/TR/SMIL2-AuthExt/

> Abstract:
>
> This submission is a proposal for resuming SYMM Working Group to improve
> SMIL 2.0 Specification.
>
> Originally SMIL was designed for describing interactive multimedia on
> the Web. However, this proposal intends to seek out the possibility of
> SMIL for professional multimedia authoring. Introducing SMIL-based
> content authoring into professional multimedia production is also
> expected to enhance the possibility of SMIL-based contents on the Web.
>
> Depicting a number of requirements for professional multimedia authoring,
> possible solutions are proposed by improving existing function modules
> and appending additional function modules. Lightweight profiles are also
> important to keep conformance between wide variety of authoring
> functionality.
>
> I believe some of you on this ML already familiar with this because
> originally I made a presentation of this idea at SMIL Europe 2003 in
> February.  Now I would like to call your attention on this ML to our
> proposal.
>
> We are still making continuing efforts to introduce SMIL-based XML
> language to multimedia authoring systems.  That is expected not only to
> change professional content production and content delivery, but also
> expand the market of SMIL application.
>
> I would like to encourage those who are interested in developing the
> future possibility of SMIL to be involved in the discussion and future
> working of SMIL.
>
> I will be so glad to have your comments, suggestions and any interests.
>
> Best regards,
> Yoshihisa Gonno
>   Platform Technology Center, Sony Corporation
>   tel:+81-3-5448-4590 fax:+81-3-5448-4066 email:ygonno@sm.sony.co.jp

It would be great to see those with the resources to take advantage
of what SMIL does to Multimedia. SMIL can take separate media files
and present it as one, but it also can allow the viewer to choose
and customize the audio/visual experience. An analogy would be
a restaurant customer choosing the foods that pleased their senses of
smell and taste, a Multimedia viewer watching a SMIL movie could now
choose the audio and visual selections that would please those senses.

Choice is Good :)

Jose Ramirez