RE: Cross-platform web application in SMIL 2.0 - is it feasible?

There is a free RealOne Player, but the Real website encourages you to purchase the Plus version. RealOne is really the only decent cross-platform solution supporting SMIL 2.0. MS IE 6.0 XHTML+SMIL2 profile is interesting, but Windows only right now. I assume MS has plans to bring IE 6 to the Macintosh market, but who knows when or how compatible it will be with XHTML+SMIL2 for Windows. Quicktime has always just had minimal support for SMIL. Apple seems to be more aligned with Macromedia Flash or MPEG-4 now.

You can use the RealOne Player ActiveX/plugin to embed the SMIL presentation into a web page.