Re: Ogg Audio and SMIL 2 Success

At 12:43 PM 11/5/01 -0800, Jose Ramirez wrote:
>Are there any plans to have an Ogg audio plug-in for RealONE?

The Xiph Foundation has been working on an Ogg Vorbis plugin for RealOne
Player, which is available from their CVS repository in a alpha quality
form.  If you have C++ coding skills, I'm sure they'd appreciate your help
in moving development of this plugin forward.

>I think that's what's missing and keeping SMIL from becoming as popular
>as HTML.

I disagree that Ogg Vorbis support is a gating factor for increased
popularity of SMIL.  Ogg Vorbis hasn't yet made noticable gains on MP3 in
terms of adoption.  That may change in the future, and at that point, it
will be important for SMIL implementations to support the format.

>There should be billions of SMIL pages just like HTML.  By adding Ogg, a
>SMIL page can have the same qualities as an HTML page.

I certainly hope that SMIL continues to become more popular.  However,
comparing HTML to SMIL is a bit of an apples to oranges comparison.

>The time and effort put in a SMIL page will be time well spent, because
>that page will have been built on open W3C standards and media that are open
>and free. Media like jpg, png, SVG, and Ogg, where one doesn't have to
>worry about the format becoming obsolete next year or licensing issues.

Certainly, we're big advocates of technologies with clear and reasonable
licensing.  There's nothing clearer, or more reasonable than "free" (at
least, from a customer's perspective).

Rob