RE: [Fwd: SMIL 2.0 comment: 14.3.2 Conformance of SMIL 2.0 Basic Documents]

Aaron,

Thanks for your patience. I think now I understand what the underlying problem is. So we can stop this thread.

There are two use cases:
(a) broadcasting ("push") SMIL documents to many clients, and
(b) a client gets ("pulls") a SMIL document from a server.
I think both use cases are important.

The scalability framework in section 14.4 makes sense when you want to do (a): send the same SMIL document to many different types of clients, each client plays as much as it can after having looked at the 'systemRequired' attribute.

I have based my argumentation on use case (b). In this case, I want authors to write SMIL documents optimized for SMIL Basic clients, and HTTP or CC/PP should be used to make sure clients get only the optimized documents (so they don't have to pay for things they cannot play anyway). For this I need a way to identify the language profile (Basic vs. full SMIL 2.0) and a way to check that a document belongs to a certain profile. This can not be done with a namespace declaration inside the document.

So back to my original comment, section 14.3.2 specifies that "a SMIL Basic document is a 'conforming' SMIL Basic document if it is a conforming SMIL 2.0 document" and a conforming SMIL 2.0 document must, according to section 13.3.2, conform to the SMIL 2.0 DTD. This makes it impossible for me to build a SMIL Basic DTD and write documents that conforms to that, and only that DTD, and still be conforming SMIL documents. So I can not solve use case (b) and conform to the SMIL specification.

This can be fixed if you create a DTD for SMIL Basic to which SMIL Basic doument must conform, instead of the full SMIL 2.0 DTD. The same namespace can be in many different schemas.

Having said this, I think SMIL 2.0 is a great technology and that the SYMM group has done a great job creating it.

Thanks,

Peter