Transparent Gif in SMIL?

From: Neil Eisgruber <neisgrub@imake.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 10:39:03 -0500
To: www-smil@w3.org
I have a question about a SMIL demo that I am putting together and would
appreciate any help possible.

I am trying to overlay a transparent image (gif) over a quicktime .mov
in a SMIL presentation that will be played in a Quicktime 4.1 plugin.
When the image loads it seems to take a snapshot of what is behind it
and then keeps that snapshot displayed while the video in the background
is changing.
Is there any way to change this so that the real time contents of the
movie can be seen through the gif?  Or is there a certian image format
that I need to use?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!