Re: 3GPP-T-WG3 codecs

From: Patrik Fältström <paf@cisco.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 05:53:00 -0800
To: Philipp Hoschka <ph@w3.org>
Cc: discuss@apps.ietf.org, www-smil@w3.org, Scott Bradner <sob@harvard.edu>
At 04.44 -0500 00-12-08, Philipp Hoschka wrote:
>Sounds reasonable, but in which effort does the IETF define minimally
>required codecs for a format ? If such an effort exists, I guess we'd
>be interested to use the same codecs as well.

In  various wg's (not in _one_ place) codecs are defined. This
include AVT and VPIM wg's for example.

To be honest, it might be the case that I should have initiated some
work on coordinating the selection of codecs earlier, but it has not
happened. Or rather, it has happened by having individuals informally
syncronizing between I-Ds which later turned into RFCs.

Do you belive a specific RFC should be written on what codecs to choose?

(A question to all people on this list.)

Can people interested bring this up on the VPIM and AVT (and other)
wg meetings next week?

I am happy to sponsor the creation of a BCP on codec selections.

   paf