Re: 3GPP-T-WG3 codecs

Patrick,

FWIW, there is a set of "recommended" codecs in the SMIL 2.0
draft of W3C, and I'm happy to explain why we chose those, if
needed:

http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/WD-smil20-20000921/smil20-profile.html#BaselineFormatsNS

> Widely Supported MIME Types
>
>    This section is informative.
>
>    The members of the W3C SYMM Working Group believe that the following
>    MIME types will be widely supported by SMIL players:
>      * audio/basic [592][MIME-2]
>      * image/png ([593][PNG-MIME], [594][PNG-REC])
>      * image/jpeg ([595][MIME-2], [596][JFIF])
>    Implementers of SMIL players should thus strive to provide support for
>    each of these types. Note, however, that this section is
>    non-normative, and that support for these MIME types is not a
>    precondition for conformance to this specification.
>
>    Authors are encouraged to encode media objects using one of the widely
>    supported MIME types whenever possible. This will ensure that their
>    SMIL documents can be played back by a wide range of SMIL players.
>
>    If authors use a MIME type that is not in the list of widely supported
>    types, they should provide an alternative version encoded using a
>    baseline format. This can be achieved by using a switch element as
>    shown in the following example:
> <switch>
>   <audio src="non-baseline-format-object" />
>   <audio src="baseline-format-object" />
> </switch>
>
>    In this example, a player that supports the non-baseline format will
>    play the first audio media object, and a player that does not support
>    the non-baseline format will play the second media object.

In general, I'm a bit confused about the request - why would the
IETF have to comment on the minimal set of codecs in a format
defined by another organisation ? This would make sense if the
goal is to define a minimal set of codecs that need to be supported
by MIME mail readers, but otherwise, I don't see the point - am
I missing something ?

-Philipp