RE: XML Linking WG review of SMIL Last Call Working Draft

Daniel:
Thanks for the reply. Some answers in-line.

Lloyd:
A bit of work for you below.
-Aaron

I still don't understand this, and I wonder if this answer takes into
account Philipp's reply and the fact that SMIL uses it's own mime type
separate from text/xml.

I'll discuss this more with Philipp and the group and get back to you.

> March) some
> enumerating
> > > especially since
> XLink ones.
> > Both SMIL20 as a whole and the linking module have
> corresponding namespaces
> > to identify the elements and attributes. By virtue of the
> required default
> > namespace declaration, all of the linking elements are
> SMIL20 namespace
> > qualified and their attributes are interpreted in the
> "private attribute"
> > namespace of the SMIL 2.0 elements. So I don't see where
> there is any
> > possibility of confusion here.
>
>   Well the document will be available as a a single page. It
> does define
> linking syntax. Nowhere on that page is the relevant
> namespace even printed
> not even in the exeamples !
>   The XML Linking WG ask you to show that namespace before
> starting enumerating
> the elements in this resource. The only namespace reference
> in the whole module
> is:
>    "These attributes can be applied to linking elements from other
>     namespaces if allowed by the language profile."
>
>   I.e. reference by negation something as simple as:
>
>    "These attributes pertains to the SMIL namespace
>     http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-smil but can be applied to linking
>     elements from other namespaces if allowed by the language
> profile."
>
>   Would clarify the situation and I think it would be fine.

Okay. I think that we can change the line as you suggest, and also fix the
examples so that the smil20 namespace is made explicit and obvious, as I say
below. Lloyd, can you make these changes?

> > > chapter includes
> to the SMIL
> > True. Thanks for catching this. We need to fix this.
> Editors, take note, the
> > smil element in the examples needs the default NS
> declaration. Especially
> > the linking module.
>
>    thanks !

> > > explained in the
> > > Base is by
> > > reference to
> > > We hope you
> Linking Module.
> > We do intend to allow/use XBase once it is a Rec. Right now
> it is in CR. Can
> > we require support for xbase in our CR period when XBase is
> in CR? The
> > inter-spec dependency rules always confuse me.
>
>   I think it's fine, we did this for XLink, you can at least exhibit
> a prior case where this was done.
>   Well it's a chicken and egg problem. XML Base goes to PR by
> showing evidence
> or reuse, adding SMIL to the list is a great addition !
I'm okay with this as long as Philipp doesn't think that we are getting
ourselves in a dependency knot. Phillip, comments?

>   I the meantime I reread the section on the Profile with Nabil on the
> subject. At this level this is clear, but it is not at all
> referred in the
> Linking module which is where people interested in Linking
> would look for
> it (like I did during the review, again the size of the spec makes
> difficult to track everything, if the reference is missing from the
> related module, well the confusion grows).
>
>   Adding a reference to XML Base in the Linking module would
> probably be
> sufficient (with a link to the related section in the profile and the
> reference entry in appendix B - or D for the Group version).
How about something like: " A profile using this linking module may also
choose to include support for XBase. When XBase support is available, the
alt attribute URI's should be interpreted in the context of the XBase URI.

Lloyd: can you wordsmith this and add it to the linking module?