RE: XML Linking WG review of SMIL Last Call Working Draft

Thierry:
Please add XLinks comments to the last call page.

All:
I have included my comments on these issues below. We should discuss the
issues as a group as well to arrive at our response.

Dan:
My comments below are not the official group response. Instead consider them
part of the discussion in working out these issues. I'd like to get your
feedback before Tuesday's telecon when we discuss the issues as a group.

-Aaron

I don't see that our use of fragments is any different from that in SMIL
1.0, and the registration of a mime type was not a requirement for that
version of SMIL, so I do not think that this is a reasonable requirement for
SMIL 2.0.

Please explain why SMIL 2.0's use of fragment identifiers is different from
SMIL 1.0?

> >   - The Linking module suffers (as I reported back in March) some
> >     namespaces deficiencies:
> >       + the namespace must be specified before starting enumerating
> >         the linking attributes and elements of SMIL,
> especially since
> >         some attribute's names and values conflict with XLink ones.
Both SMIL20 as a whole and the linking module have corresponding namespaces
to identify the elements and attributes. By virtue of the required default
namespace declaration, all of the linking elements are SMIL20 namespace
qualified and their attributes are interpreted in the "private attribute"
namespace of the SMIL 2.0 elements. So I don't see where there is any
possibility of confusion here.

> >       + none of the full formed SMIL examples in that
> chapter includes
> >         the SMIL namespace declaration; this is error prone for
> >         implementors or authors and is not conformant to the SMIL
> >         Language Profile
True. Thanks for catching this. We need to fix this. Editors, take note, the
smil element in the examples needs the default NS declaration. Especially
the linking module.

> >   - The status of the use of XML Base is unclear. As
> explained in the
> >     XML Base specification, the deployment strategy for XML
> Base is by
> >     reuse in other XML specifications. Though there is a
> reference to
> >     it in the Appendix B, it is unclear if it is normative.
> >     There is also no reference to it in the Linking module.
> We hope you
> >     intent to use XML Base and make it clear in the Linking Module.
We do intend to allow/use XBase once it is a Rec. Right now it is in CR. Can
we require support for xbase in our CR period when XBase is in CR? The
inter-spec dependency rules always confuse me.

http://xmlsoft.org/