  • From: Martin J. Duerst <duerst@w3.org>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 21:33:54 -0500 (EST)
  • Subject: [Moderator Action] I18N last call comments on SMIL Animation
  • To: www-smil@w3.org
Dear SMIL WG,

This is an i18n-related comment regarding SMIL Animation, from
the I18N WG and IG.

It does not seem to be possible to animate the contents of
an element (e.g. XML element). Maybe this can indeed be done
by just leaving out the 'attributeName' attribute. If not,
this is a problem. For textual "attributes" that are more than
just fixed values, the very clear recommendation from an i18n
side is to make these elements, so that if necessary further
markup can be used depending on the need of the language and/or
script. If the fact that animation is only allowed on attributes
leads to a tradeoff between animation and internationalization,
that would be highly undesired. The SMIL WG should therefore
make sure that element contents (including possibly markup)
can be the target of an animation.

Regards,   Martin.

#-#-#  Martin J. Du"rst, World Wide Web Consortium
#-#-#  mailto:duerst@w3.org   http://www.w3.org