RE: Deprecating frames (was RE: Synchronization between SMIL and html)

I almost put in a qualification in my original mail, but did not want to
sound too defensive ;-).

I am not in favor of deprecating frames.  I think that the alternatives
(e.g. using tables for layout and iframes for local documents) are no
better, and in some cases may reduce semantic information. I have recently
been chatting with several users of screen readers and spoken browsers, and
folks involved with digital talking books, and there did not seem to be a
clear consensus about frames being a bad thing. Anyway, I encourage you to
address your comments to the HTML WG (and possibly WAI) at W3C, where this
activity is under discussion.

I personally am beginning to think more about requirements for
"document-sets", including some formalized means of describing correlation
points among the documents (e.g. for referring from a TOC into a document,
and for syncing a TOC based upon a focus of attention in a content
document), and some DOM support for navigating and orienting within
documents based upon the correlation points.  Various ad hoc solutions are
in use, generally leveraging script.  XSLT can help with some aspects of the
problem (e.g. to generate a TOC on the fly from a content document or
doc-set), but this is only mechanical. We need to introduce the semantics of
document-sets so that people can leverage common support on a range of
platforms.

I am just beginning to formulate my ideas here, and need to do some more
research to see what other groups are already doing in this area. I would be
very interested to hear more about your view of this, and use cases or
solutions that you have.

Thanks - Patrick