Re: request for application/smil

From: Dmitry Beransky <dberansky@ucsd.edu>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 10:09:41 -0800
To: www-smil@w3.org
Phillip,

I saw the thread on ietf-xml-mime [1] in which you discuss SMIL's MIME type
with Makoto Murata.  While I understand your reasoning, I still think it a
bad idea to not to push for a more complaint MIME type.

I'm currently writing a generic XML processor capable of serving and
updating arbitrary portions of an XML tree (with complete locking
capabilities, etc.).  I pretty much would like my server to work with any
XML file, but if we continue the trend that SMIL is setting, the only way I
can make sure I can handle an arbitrary XML file is by enumerating all
possible MIME types.  This is not a scalable solution.

As XML matures, I can see an increasing number of applications that
streamline storage/retrieval of XML-based documents.  As soon as XML QL
group is done with its work, we will also see a surge of XML
databases.  All these applications will rely on MIME types to recognize XML
documents.

While keeping SMIL's type as application/smil will satisfy most people's
current needs, I think it will seriously hurt SMIL's usefulness in the
future, especially in high production environments where batch processing
is a must.

Regardless of whether Makoto Murata's proposal [2] shall be finalized or
not, IMHO it is clear that there will be a standard mechanism in practice
for assigning mime types to XML based documents.  I think that your
proposal should deprecate application/smil in favor of such a
mechanism.  This way, SMIL tool developers will have enough time to adjust
and, hopefully, we can have a smooth transition from application/smil to
applications/smil-xml or whatever other recommendation ietf-xml-mime WG
will come up with.

Best regards
Dmitry Beransky

[1] http://www.imc.org/ietf-xml-mime/mail-archive/threads.html#00315