Re: SDPng

Hi Markus,

(www-smil@w3.org added to the cc line.  See mail below for context)

The W3C SYMM Working Group is currently in the process of defining the next
version of SMIL (Synchronized Multimedia Integration Language).  It's an
XML-based language describing how to combine multimedia primitives (audio,
video, images, text, etc) into a coherent presentation.

One of the proposed set of extensions to SMIL would be to add RTP delivery
information into the SMIL specification.  The latest draft for this is
located here:
http://www.w3.org/TR/smil-boston/extended-media-object.html

A SMIL representation of SDP information would clearly be heavier than an
SDP equivalent, but would also be a lot more expressive.  What's more,
there's many cases where SMIL and SDP are both used in the same
presentation today (RealPlayer and Quicktime support both).

I'll have to add the caveat that this particular portion of the spec hasn't
received a lot of attention due to the fact that the bulk of the working
group has more interest and/or expertise in matters higher in the
application stack than getting the bits from point A to point B.  Input
from this group on fleshing this proposal out would be greatly appreciated
(best sent to www-smil@w3.org to keep me honest)  :)

Since the RTP portion of the SMIL Boston spec has such clear overlap with
an existing IETF spec, it may make sense to separate this out and work on
it as a namespace-separated extension to SMIL Boston, for which the details
are sorted out in the IETF.  That would allow the group with the most
interest and expertise in the matter to participate.

Thoughts?

Rob