RE: [Fwd: SMIL + HTML question]

This is an interesting but (perhaps surprisingly) complex question.  SMIL
Boston does not really address the issues of embedding documents within
documents, although there has been discussion about this issue, and we
recognize the importance of the use-cases.  There are a host of issues
related to this, including how the DOM would model an embedded document, how
events propagate back and forth, how UI events are handled in the two
"domains", etc.

Unfortunately, up to now the common approach has been to model embedded
documents like "plug-ins" that live in a black box w.r.t. the host document.
In some cases, limited interaction is possible, usually in the form of
script reaching out to the host window.

There are groups within W3C that are looking at issues of including
documents within documents, embedding fragments of documents, etc. It is my
impression that these efforts are still taking small steps, but at least
there is attention in these areas.

In closing I will make a plug for the HTML+SMIL integration, and note that
with this SMIL Boston language, you can mix HTML and SMIL in one document,
and perhaps skirt the thorny issues altogether.

Patrick

Patrick Schmitz
Researcher
Microsoft