Re: Collected comments and SYMM-WG responses to SMIL Animation Last Call

From: Susan Lesch <lesch@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 19:48:57 -0800
To: aaron.m.cohen@intel.com, www-smil@w3.org
Hello, Aaron,

Thank you so much for the feedback on Last Call comments [1]. I'd let
this go, but will try to answer since you ask.

> Also, parenthesized amplification that is itself a complete
> sentence needs a preceding semicolon. They appear throughout
> the spec and I won't enumerate them here. For example, in 3.1
> final section for attributeType: The attribute value is one of
> the following (values are case-sensitive): ^ The attribute
> value is one of the following; (values are case-sensitive):
>
> SYMM Response: This is new to us. Is it somewhere is White's
> style guide?

Yes. (Well, for sure it is in Strunk [2].)

"...5. Do not join independent clauses by a comma.

    "If two or more clauses, grammatically complete and not
     joined by a conjunction, are to form a single compound
     sentence, the proper mark of punctuation is a semicolon."

It's also in _The Chicago Manual of Style_.

"...Semicolon: It should always be used, of course, between
     the two parts of a compound sentence (independent, or
     coordinate, clauses) when they are not connected by a
     conjunction."

[1]
http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/Group/Animation/SMILAnimationLastCallResp
onses#LESCH