XSMIL?

From: Gianni Rubagotti <rubaggnn@mac20.bronxlab.unimi.it>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 15:39:15 +0200
To: www-smil@w3.org
Excuse my not enough knowledge of SMIL specification but I have a question.

If I understand well SMIL is a fixed format language as HTML (you can use
only the elements you find in DTD).

The development of SMIL could bring to let us tag multimedia as text in XML?
In poor words, in the future I'll be able to tag a movie with tag like
<Hamlet_talking>, <Sam_plays song="As Time Goes By"> and, by a stylesheet,
work on these tagged parts (so I could see of the next movie of Sean Connery
only the parts in which Connery talks)?

Thanks in advance,
Gianni Rubagotti
XMl-IT owner