Re: SMIL Mimetype / Hello!

On Wed, Jul 7 1999 Joe Crawford wrote:

> Downloaded the GRiNs editor and started playing. Uploaded the .smil file
> to my webserver and it displays as text. : (

> Theoretically, those links should fire my RealPlayer G2, yes?
> (Environment - Mac_PPC/NN4.51/RealPlayerG2 6.0.4.187)
>
> Is this *all* I need to have my server admin add? Is this right?
>
> AddType application/smil smi smil sml

On the server side, doing that, and naming the suffixes right for the
files themselves, is all you'd need.  This would send out suffixes
browsers would recognize and, more importantly, also send the mimetype
signal that explicitly states what the file type is.

But you also need to do stuff on the client side.  I assume that when
SMIL files are displayed as text for you, that after editing and
saving them with GRiNS, that you then access them with an HTML
browser.  SMIL files are not shown with HTML browsers.  You need to
enter the settings in your HTML browser that trigger a SMIL player for
SMIL files.  With Netscape, select "Navigator" then "Application" from
the box opened by selected "Preferences" from the "Edit" pulldown
menu.  With this, you need to establish the mime type for SMIL and
state the pathname of GRiNS or G2 or whatever player you wish to use.
It would also help here to enter the SMIL suffixes here.  This way, if
the server communicates no SMIL mimetype, your browser will recognize
the suffix as a SMIL suffix and still call the player for that file.

-Lloyd

--
Lloyd Rutledge                              vox: +31 20 592 41 27
CWI (Centrum voor Wiskunde en Informatica)  fax: +31 20 592 41 99