Re: SMIL in SMIL?

From: SHIBATA Seiki <seiki@flab.fujitsu.co.jp>
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 1998 12:48:36 +0900
To: Philipp.Hoschka@sophia.inria.fr
Cc: www-smil@w3.org
Philipp Hoschka wrote:
> >  Can a SMIL presentation include other SMIL presentation?
>
> Nothing in the SMIL spec prevents this
>
> >It seems possible, if referrences to SMIL document are supported in
> >`Media Object Element'. But two SMIL players (GRiNS and RealPlayer G2)
> >do not support SMIL document as a media type.
>
> I too think that it is a very useful thing to have, and am
> disappointed that nobody seems to support it.
>
> For an author, splitting a SMIL presentation into several different
> SMIL parts allows modularizing the presentation, reuse
> chunks of it in another context and make the whole thing more
> readable.

Absolutely. Reusing clips for making big and/or complex clips is
a background of my question.

The inclusion of SMIL in SMIL is like the FRAMEs in HTML. I worry
about the same problem as the FRAMEs. Jakob Nielsen described the
problem with FRAMEs in his AlertBox
<URL:http://www.useit.com/alertbox/9612.html>.

// seiki