--------------------------------------
Date: 8/4/98 12:15 PM
To: Larry Goldberg
From: Dan Dickinson
No, thankfully, it wouldn't screw anything up.  Macintosh files are opened
based on type/creator codes (two 4 letter codes buried in the file - a text
file is type TEXT, a Quicktime movie is MooV, etc) as opposed to any letter
codes on the end.  So the machine could distinguish between a SMIL file
(which, in theory, would be type TEXT and have a creator of a player
application, like GrINS) and an SMI application (which would be an APPL
file).

I am intrigued by someone else having .smi registered already, though.
Anyone know what application this would be?

-dan