Re: Injecting media into streaming presentations

Hi B.K.,

Warning - not really SMIL-related, but a potential answer to your question.  My apologies to the SMIL list for the deviation.

SoftCam, at http://www.luminositi.com is a product that allows you to capture your desktop (or GIF, BMP, or AVI's) and switch it into your live video stream.  So if you were using something like RealEncoder or NetShow's encoder to capture video using a decent resolution, you could dynamically switch to a realtime capture of powerpoint slides on your desktop.  You can also do image overlays with the live video behind (which gives you the ability to do the "breaking news" across your vid window).  And the Pro version has a "FloatIt" product that allows you to use any BMP object with a transparent background as your pointing device (or to place static markers around your desktop).

Since SoftCam can play AVI's and works with the RealEncoder, you basically have the effect of realtime encoding of AVI's (I know you asked about MPG but that's not supported now).  Oh - the Pro version also has an audio mux that blends 2 *input* audio streams.  So if the AVI you're playing has an audio portion, your microphone voice will be blended so as to have the effect of a trainer giving commentary during a training video.

It's actually a video capture device itself, so SoftCam works with NetMeeting, CU-SeeMe, Real, NetShow, VDOphone, iVisit, etc.