Is there some generic object model for multimedia objects?

From: Rolande Kendal <kendal@interlog.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 20:28:49 -0400
To: www-SMIL@w3.org
Is there some generic object model for multimedia objects (I'm a dreamer
right)?

Like the DOM is for Web documents, is there a multimedia object model that
exposes the commonality amoungst the various multimedia object types?

I would like to wrap the various multimedia objects in a generic interface.
To what degree I'm not sure, but this must have been done before.

Rolande Kendal