Re: Validating SVG+RDF

Hi Doug.

On 8-Mar-09, at 10:45 PM, Doug Schepers wrote:
> I put an RDF license in an <svg:metadata> element, as is common
> practice for Inkscape-generated content, and tried to validate it.

Once you start mixing XML dialects, a DTD based validator can't help
you. True, we do have some DTDs for compound documents such as XHTML
1.1 plus MathML 2.0 plus SVG 1.1 but they only allow unflexible usage
of XML mix-and-match (in particular, no flexibility at all regarding
namespaces).

> There are other combo options that the validator claims to
> understand, including XHTML + RDFa, XHTML 1.1 plus MathML 2.0, XHTML
> 1.1 plus MathML 2.0 plus SVG 1.1.  Is it possible to get RDF put
> into that list?

If the SVG WG wants to produce an SVG+RDF DTD, it would be easy to
validate with any old-school DTD validator, with the limitations
mentioned above. I suspect the SVG WG won't want to do that – it has
been its policy to shun DTDs for a while, and rightly so.

The tool you really want for validation of SVG+RDF is an nVDL
dispatcher, combined with DTD+XMLSchema+RelaxNG(+Schematron)
validation capabilities.

IIRC Henri's validator.nu has such capabilities - although I don't
know how difficult it would be to check RDF with that engine -. So
does relaxed, a project that was really promising, but which I'm not
sure is still actively attended. The online service is done most of
the time, the sourceforge page (http://relaxed.sourceforge.net/) shows
little activity, and I haven't managed to get hold of Petr (the
developer) in a while, although for some time we were looking at
hosting relaxed at W3C…

How hard would it be to have this on validator.w3.org? Not trivial,
but feasible. I invite you to review (with the WG) the validator's
development roadmap, which looks into this question:
http://qa-dev.w3.org/wmvs/HEAD/todo.html#roadmap

--
olivier