RDF Validator, confusing character encoding bugs

From: Brian Romanowski <romanows@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 12:32:30 -0500
To: "www-rdf-validator@w3.org" <www-rdf-validator@w3.org>, "Jeremy_Carroll@hp.com" <Jeremy_Carroll@hp.com>

I keep getting UTF-8 "undecodable data" errors where the byte number
given changes each time I reload the validation results page (when the
underlying file has not been touched).

There seems to be some kind of caching problem as well, as sometimes
I'll try to rename the file as well as change it's encoding (in the
header and in the declaration).  The validator will show the new
filename but still give the old character encoding.  I believe after a
few refreshes, it'll get the new character encoding.

Here are two of the error messages I get when reloading the validation page:
1.
An attempt to load the RDF from URI
'http://cita.disability.uiuc.edu/software/mozilla/test/dhtml/src/rdf/GUIRoleTaxonomy.rdf'
failed. (Undecodable data when reading URI at byte 2896 using encoding
'UTF-8'. Please check encoding and encoding declaration of your
document.)

2.An attempt to load the RDF from URI
'http://cita.disability.uiuc.edu/software/mozilla/test/dhtml/src/rdf/GUIRoleTaxonomy.rdf'
failed. (Undecodable data when reading URI at byte 8192 using encoding
'UTF-8'. Please check encoding and encoding declaration of your
document.)

and here's a version that sends the proper header:
http://cita.disability.uiuc.edu/software/mozilla/test/dhtml/src/rdf/GUIRoleTaxonomy.php

This will validate, BUT if I delete one more rdf definition in the
file, it will not validate.  The above file was already created by
deleting items from a larger document; any more deletion causes the
utf-8 errors.

(here's a version with one more definition deleted:
http://cita.disability.uiuc.edu/software/mozilla/test/dhtml/src/rdf/GUIRoleTaxonomy2.php
)

thanks for your help!
Brian