Re: whenToUseGet, test licensing, and the RDF validator

Hello Dan,

At 02:55 05/02/23, Dan Connolly wrote:

 >I'm composing an RFE

I have no clue what an RFE is. Google didn't bring up anything
sufficiently suspicious for me to guess.

 >that involves running the RDF validator
 >on my homepage... I can't bookmark the results because
 >it seems to use POST. ew.

The RDF validator understands GET, so if this "RFE" is something
automatic, you can easily change it to GET.

Btw, the main reason I made sure GET works is that it's
much easier that way to test the RDF validator, see e.g.
http://www.w3.org/2002/08/rdf-i18n-tests/.

 >Perhaps the reason is
 > "- I grant the W3C permission to save this RDF and to use it for
 >developing test cases"
 >
 >which can't be done with GET.

Well, strictly speaking, you are right, because giving W3C permission
to save the RDF changes the state of the server. On the other hand,
this operation is actually idempotent, executing it twice doesn't
provide more content or give more permissions (although the data
will appear on the server in two different files with different
numbers). Also, one may see the data collection as just a side
effect, some sort of 'extended logging', so it's not a clearcut
case at all.

I think the main reason for using POST was that for any kind of
serious RDF, the GET URI gets extremely long, to the extent of
being unmanageable.

Regards,   Martin.